A super delicious chocolate cake which stays fresh and lovely to eat for days. This cake does not need sandwiching if you make a good chocolate buttercream and cover the sides and top with swirls of icing.
Apologies for the cake being behind bars but I took the picture at the show and they had these up to stop people touching. My cake won first prize so I was very happy.
- 3 large eggs
- 8oz softened butter
- 8oz sugar
- 6 heaped dessertspoons of greek yoghurt
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 6oz self-raising flour
- 2oz cocoa
- 1.5tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- juice of half an orange
- 1tsp of instant coffee dissolved in 2tbsp of warm water
- Heat the oven to 180C.
- Grease and flour a deep 8 inch cake tin
- Put the eggs, butter, sugar, yoghurt, vanilla extract and orange juice in a bowl and beat for 2 minutes
- Add the dry ingredients and beat for 30 seconds.
- If the mixture is not of a dropping consistency add a tablespoon of the coffee and whisk, adding more if needed to reach the right consistency.
- Put the batter in the prepared cake tin and put in the oven and bake until the cake springs back when touched.
- Once the cake has cooled for 10-15 minutes turn it out upside down on a rack until it is cool, then cover in chocolate buttercream.