This is delicious and the tarragon really adds to the flavour. Serve with fresh runner beans, caramelised roast carrots and good mashed potato or rice.
- 8 assorted chicken portions or one 2kg chicken jointed into 8 portions
- 1 tbsp flour
- olive oil
- 110g smoked streaky bacon, roughly chopped
- 125g shallots, peeled and left whole if small or sliced thickly
- 15g small button mushrooms left whole
- 175ml white wine
- 1 bunch of tarragon
- 284ml double cream or Elmlea
- salt and pepper
- Toss the chicken pieces in salt and pepper and the flour.
- fry the chicken pieces gently in olive oil and butter until well browned and almost cooked, about 25 minutes depending on the sizes of the pieces.
- Remove chicken from the pan, add the bacon and shallots to the pan and fry until browned gently and then add the mushrooms and fry for 2 minutes
- add the wine and de-glaze the pan and boil until reduced by half
- add the cream to the pan together with about 100ml of water and add the tarragon leaves
- heat through gently at a simmer for 3-4 minutes and check the seasoning, add salt and pepper if required.
- Return the cooked chicken to the pan and cook on a low simmer for 10-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
Leave a Reply