A local chef taught me how to make a fail safe chow mein which tastes wonderful.
Perfect Chicken Chow Mein
- 4 layers of dried noodles
- 2 chicken oxos
- oyster sauce
- dark soya sauce
- small piece of ginger grated
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp 5 spice powder
- 500g thinly sliced chicken breast
- a couple of handfuls of sliced mushrooms, onions and red pepper
- Cook the noodles in stock made fom the oxos and hot water.
- When cooked, remove the noodles and reduce the cooking water by a third, then add a glug of oyster sauce, another of dark soya sauce, the ginger, garlic and 5 spice and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile stir fry the chicken quickly, and when just cooked put it into the sauce.
- Then stir fry the mushrooms, onions and peppers for a few minutes and then put them also into the sauce along with the cooked noodles, heat through and serve.