A yummy economical meaty stew that goes a long way and is great with dumplings, as a pie filling or just in a bowl with some crusty bread.
Oxtail & Kidney Stew
- 1 oxtail cut into slices
- 6 prepared lamb kidneys cut in half
- 4 tbsp flour mixed with salt and black pepper
- 2 onions sliced
- 1/2 bottle red wine
- 1 pint beef stock
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- pinch dried thyme
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 large carrots thickly sliced
- Toss the oxtail and kidneys in the seasoned flour
- Fry the meat in hot oil in a large heavy bottomed pan until they are browned
- Remove the meat from the pan and then fry the onions in the pan until they start to go brown then add the meat back into the pan.
- Add the wine, stock and the rest of the ingredients except the carrots. Bring to the boil and then simmer very gently for 2 hours.
- Add the carrots and then bring back to the boil and simmer for a further hour stirring occasionally.
- Check that the meat is falling off the oxtail, if not cook for a further 30 minutes.
- This tastes even better the next day after it has been stored in the fridge.