Here is a summary of what the Mail wrote last week about how to keep your cholesterol low.
1. Flora Proactiv or Benecol yoghurt drinks – 1 yoghurt drink with your main meal once a day
2. Fibre – 18g per day – eg one slice of wholemeal bread and 80g of beans or pulses
3. Nuts – 25-50g per day – eg 25 almonds is about 30g
4. Soya – 2 to 3 portions per day – eg 500ml of soya milk and one soya yoghurt
5. Olive or Rapeseed oil – 2 tbsp per day used in cooking
6. Oats – contains beta glucans – you need 3g of beta glucans per day – eg small bowl of porridge, 3 oatcakes and 2 slices of oat bread (NB this will also provide you with 5g of your fibre requirement)
Plus of course at least 5 servings of fruit or veg, no more than 70g of fat per day (or 95g for men) and keep sugar products to a minimum.
Tagged: Healthy Eating
Leave a Reply